Conservative Bastion
The only blog that can factually claim to shift the Bell Curve, along with the hearts & minds of America, to the right.
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
Me and My Dumb Theories
I have actually gotten sick of politics. So sick I could vomit. Don’t hold me to it though, because I’d rather not. So rather than talk about politics, I have decided to share something I thought about just the other day. I’m sure someone else has thought of this before, but I’ve never heard it argued. Just don’t go thinking that I think I’m a big genius for coming up with this.

Anyways, I was thinking about art the other day. Art, at least by my understanding of it, is supposed to be the opposite of science. Science is absolute, while the beauty (or lack thereof) of art is left to the eye of the beholder. If this were actually true, then how could the Mona Lisa, the Sistine Chapel, or the Michelangelo’s David be considered art? You can’t argue against them being beautiful pieces of art without being labeled an uneducated boob (I'll admit it, I don't like the Mona Lisa). So how can they be considered art if everyone likes it?

In my mind, true art would allow for no consensus. Some people would hate it, and some people would love it. To me - even though I hate it 9 times out of 10 - this is why contemporary art is true art. There is no consensus. In fact, most the people I know hate it and don’t consider it art.

True art...though I would never put it on my wall...

StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!
1 Comments:
Blogger Democrat said...
Well, contemporary art is a lot like contemporary poetry---things change with time. I myself prefer contemporary poetry, but at the same time I prefer classical art. Just goes to show you how the times change.

P.S. I am sick of politics, too. I was just telling my father that tonight---All the same BS.

Democrat

Links to this post:
Create a Link