Conservative Bastion
The only blog that can factually claim to shift the Bell Curve, along with the hearts & minds of America, to the right.
Friday, August 18, 2006
Please Sir, Can I Have Some More...Torture

With a tip from the Best of the Web Today, I came across an article that appeared in the Guardian, a left-wing British newspaper. According to the article, the terrorist plot that was broken up last week in Britain was made possible by torture.
Reports from Pakistan suggest that much of the intelligence that led to the raids came from that country and that some of it may have been obtained in ways entirely unacceptable here. In particular Rashid Rauf, a British citizen said to be a prime source of information leading to last week's arrests, has been held without access to full consular or legal assistance. Disturbing reports in Pakistani papers that he had "broken" under interrogation have been echoed by local human rights bodies. The Guardian has quoted one, Asma Jehangir, of the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, who has no doubt about the meaning of broken. "I don't deduce, I know - torture," she said. "There is simply no doubt about that, no doubt at all."
This story tells me two things.

1. Torture does work and should be used under certain circumstances.
2. Pakistan is our ally.

We don’t know what exactly took place, but I don’t think it is unreasonable to use coerced interrogation (the nice way of saying torture) if its effects are not permanent. For instance, sleep depravation, water torture, and even withholding meals should be used to extract information from terrorists. Other methods like electrocution, mutilation, and rape are always unacceptable.

I always hear people complain about how Bush let Osama get away and how he cares more about Iraq than fighting terrorism…blablabla. Osama is in Pakistan, and Musharraf (the President of Pakistan) can not simply order his army to capture him. Musharraf knows that if he cozies up too closely with the Americans, it will spell doom for him and his government. Pakistan’s current government is as pro-American as it is going to get. The situation is very delicate and we have to respect his wishes lest Musharraf gets overthrown and a fundamentalist government seizes power.

For the time being, fighting the War on Terrorism means supporting President Musharraf in order to keep Pakistan marginally pro-American. It also means giving up the search for Osama. Our only alternative is to sacrifice our relationship with a very key Muslim country for only the possibility of catching one man.
StumbleUpon Toolbar Stumble It!
5 Comments:
Blogger Democrat said...
I've not read that article. The only British news source I read is BBC; I'll have to look into that Guardian. Also, you know that torture is illegal under the Geneva Convention, right?

Tortue may work but it is inhumane. Whether Pakistan does it or not is none of our business, but we can't do it; we're not supposed to anyway.

Democrat

Blogger Media Tycoon said...
there is a link to it in the post.

as for torture...i guess ite depends on what you think torture is. what i called acceptable torture (sleep depravation, water torture, and withholding meals) isn't really torture in my opinion. if i were captured, i wouldn't mind those methods being used if they were used humanely.

torture should be done for a reason. if we just torture everyone, that would be useless. we should only torture people that we know or strongly suspect have important information.

Blogger Democrat said...
You don't consider witholding food inhumane? The sleep and water I think is all right, just so long as all other avenues have been traveled. The withholding of food is ridiculous, I think.

Democrat

Blogger Media Tycoon said...
It depends on how long they plan on withholding food. For instance, lets say they withheld food for one week...I really doubt most people could/would last that long. However if an inmate gets to the point where his health is in jeopardy, then I would stop that strategy with that particular inmate. Chronic starvation is wrong, (and I think feeding them unclean foods is wrong too), but just withholding here and there...its not a big deal. to be honest, I don’t think the US uses that technique anyways. I have heard that these inmates have gained a lot of weight in prison...don’t ask me where I read that, I cant remember. So maybe that was a bad example on my part.

Blogger Democrat said...
You said most people can't go longer than a week; have you heard about Cindy Sheehan? I know she went longer than a week, but I don't know if she is still on a hunger strike.

Democrat

Links to this post:
Create a Link